The Role of Drinks at Work
At Mars Drinks, we’re obsessed with office coffee. We love it, and more importantly, we want our customers to love their office coffee, too. That’s why we conducted extensive research, visiting companies, analyzing surveys, and interviewing employees, to understand the role that workplace drinks play in our work and our workplaces.
We learned that people are pretty passionate about their drinks! All generations—especially Millennials and Gen X—value and demand workplace beverages (82% of Millennials; 76% of Gen X; 63% of Boomers; and 60% of Traditionalists) and between 67% and 80% of respondents globally value drinks to support engagement, collaboration, productivity, and well-being.
We also found that when drinks are not available, respondents believed their day would be in decline.
- 62% of people expected a decline in well-being
- 54% expected reductions in engagement and productivity
- 46% said that collaboration would suffer
Build Your Perfect Drink Assortment
Overall, we found that wherever collaboration and interactions happen in the workplace, coffee is there. So, creating the right mix of drinks is essential in keeping the office running smoothly. To create your perfect drink menu, we recommend you begin with a combination of light, medium and dark roast coffees and invigorating teas at every coffee station. A core menu might include:
- ALTERRA® Morning Roast
- ALTERRA Donut Shop
- ALTERRA Colombia
- ALTERRA French Roast
- ALTERRA House Blend Decaf
- THE BRIGHT TEA CO.™ English Breakfast Tea
- THE BRIGHT TEA CO. Select Green Tea
Build on this core range to address the needs of your team throughout the day and keep the whole office happy.
Expand on Taste and Choice
A great way to build on to your drink assortment is to think about the way employees work and structure their day. For instance, people look to workplace beverages to help them get work done and be more creative. Specifically, drinks:
- Accelerate. They help jump start, spark, and stimulate work.
- Focus. Drinks fuel creative and innovative thinking among employees
Help your team spark their creativity by offering an invigorating blend like THE BRIGHT TEA CO. Lemon Herbal.
Drinks also play roles throughout the day in the ‘between times’. They:
- Structure. Drinks provide a rhythm and structure for the day. They are a predictable part of moving through our day.
- Transition. They also play a role in shifting from one task to another.
To add structure to the rhythm of the work day, introduce Peet’s Coffee—choose from Colombia Luminosa, Café Domingo or French Roast. Offer Real Milk Froth and enable the entire team to create perfect lattes and cappuccinos as they shift between tasks.
Another primary role that drinks play is in conjunction with people and the ways that our work connects us with others. Drinks:
- Initiate. They are very helpful in sparking introductions and in the process of greeting new acquaintances and initiating relationships.
- Connect. Drinks are also critical in relationship-building. They help us connect and facilitate personal relationships.
For spaces equipped with the MARS DRINKS™ FLAVIA® Barista introduce authentic Segafredo® or ALTERRA Espresso. If your workplace doesn’t offer the Barista, introduce ALTERRA Italian Roast to power the day with an espresso style coffee.
Finally, drinks can provide a moment of indulgence and comfort during a busy day. They:
- Soothe. Drinks provide comfort and security. In situations that are challenging or tricky, having a cup of coffee or tea is reassuring.
- Boost. Workplace beverages create opportunities for respite or pause in the day. Think of these times not just as breaks, but as reboots.
As you craft your drinks range, consider the spaces where your brewers are located and the types of activities that these spaces encourage. In meeting rooms or spaces where workers have limited access to the coffee station offer a smaller, targeted drinks range. In open spaces and where brewers are in close proximity to heads-down spaces offer the widest range to meet the needs of as many workers as possible and power them through the day.